Secret Recipe Club June: Lemon Cookies

16 Jun

This month for Secret Recipe Club I was assigned It’s Yummy to My Tummy. This wonderful blog is written by Heather. She uses the blog as a way to de-stress by cooking and baking… I’m with ya Heather!

When I found the Lemon Coolers, Heather calls them, I was excited. I haven’t baked in a whole so I couldn’t wait!

20140616-003950-2390182.jpg

Easy Lemon Cookies

Yields about a dozen cookies, depending on the size

1/2 cup Earth Balance buttery spread
1/2 cup vegan sugar
1/4 cup nondairy milk
Zest from 1 lemon
Juice from 1 lemon
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 to 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the Earth Balance and the sugar. In a small separate bowl, soft together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder and sea salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Gently stir in the nondairy milk, zest and lemon juice until just combined; add more flour if necessary.

Using seran wrap, form the dough into a log shape. Freeze for about an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the dough from the freezer and let thaw slightly (until you are able to slice it with a knife). Slice the dough into even slices, place on a parchment lined baking sheet about an inch apart and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Remove from the oven, let cool slightly, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy!

Secret Recipe Club

6 Responses to “Secret Recipe Club June: Lemon Cookies”

1. turnips 2 tangerines June 16, 2014 at 1:38 am #

Wonderful recipe! I love cookies and lemon so this would be a hit in my house. Great SRC pick~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

2. teaandscones June 17, 2014 at 7:06 pm #

OOO! Lemon cookies!! How refreshing.

3. Veronica June 17, 2014 at 8:01 pm #

LOVE lemon cookies – these sound great!

4. Deanna Segrave-Daly (@tspbasil) June 19, 2014 at 9:37 am #

I’ll have to make these for the hubs. He’s a pretty picky eater (and of course is married to a dietitian & food blogger!) but love all lemon desserts :) It was fun having your blog this month :)

5. Heather June 19, 2014 at 10:28 am #

Glad you found something on my blog that you could create and bake :-) vegan. Not sure if you saw that my little guy is actually allergic to dairy and nuts so quite frequently I make things dairy-free and egg and nut-free. Thanks again for featuring the lemon cookie recipe.

6. Zel Allen's nutgourmet July 21, 2014 at 7:32 pm #

A Secret Recipe Club sounds like a fun idea. Is it completely vegan?