Secret Recipe Club- February!!

20 Feb

So after a little break from the Secret Recipe Club, it’s that time again! This month I was assigned the blog Wives With Knives! I love this site. Its fun and easy to look at and has a great mixture of recipes and personal posts! Cathy, the author, is a self-taught cook who prepares many recipes that have been passed down from her relatives. Very cool!!

After perusing her site I came, finally, to the hard decision: sweet or savory… and in the end, after consulting with friends and family… I chose to cook savory style: Roman Style Artichoke Hearts.

I really didn’t change too much with the recipe because it was already completely vegan (:

Roman Style Artichoke Hearts

Serves 3-4

2 cans artichoke hearts, in water

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1 organic lemon, 3/4 thinly sliced with seeds removed, 1/4 zested and juiced

4 Tbsp. fresh, flat-leaf parsley, chopped + 1 extra for garnish

2 Tbsp. fresh mint, leaves only, chopped, divided

1 tsp. red pepper flakes

4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil – (3 Tbsp. for cooking, 1 Tbsp. for marinade)

2/3 cup dry white wine

1 pinch sea salt

Drain the artichoke hearts, coarsely chop and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine parsley, mint, garlic, salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in artichoke hearts and gently stir to combine.

In a stainless steel skillet, add the artichoke hearts, lemon slices, red pepper flakes, remaining oil, wine, and a pinch of salt. Heat on medium and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender and juices have reduced. Remove lemon slices and artichokes with a slotted spoon and layer onto a serving plate. Cook remaining liquid to reduce, about 5 minutes. Drizzle the artichokes with the sauce from the skillet.

Garnish with mint and parsley. Enjoy as a side dish or delicious appetizer warm or at room temperature!!

Secret Recipe Club

13 Responses to “Secret Recipe Club- February!!”

1. Erin @ Making Memories February 20, 2012 at 4:02 pm #

Looks wonderful!!!

• veg-unite February 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

Thank you!! It was delicious too!

2. Cathy at Wives with Knives February 21, 2012 at 8:09 am #

I’m so happy you liked this recipe! I haven’t made this dish since last summer and it is one of my favorite ways to prepare artichokes. Your photos are terrific.

• veg-unite February 21, 2012 at 9:46 am #

I loved it so much! My favorite was eating it on salad greens. I’ll probably try it again in the summer when artichokes are gorgeous and fresh!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe!

~ Brittany

3. cindy February 21, 2012 at 6:05 pm #

We do love artichokes at our house. This dish looks delish.

4. Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } February 21, 2012 at 10:42 pm #

These look soooo tasty. My hubby would love these. I could also see this a bruschetta topping. Yum. Glad to be part of SRC group C with you.

• veg-unite February 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Oh bruschetta topping that is such a great idea!! I’m definitely going to try that!

5. Lisa~~ February 21, 2012 at 10:49 pm #

We love artichokes and this recipe looks wonderful.

If you haven’t already, I’d love for you to check out my Group ‘A’ SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

• veg-unite February 23, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Wow crunchy fudge heart bites HELLO!!! Those look amazing!

6. Teri @ The Freshman Cook February 22, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

This looks heavenly delicious! Visiting from SRC. Thanks!

7. Deanna February 23, 2012 at 9:31 am #

You know, I have a bag of frozen artichoke hearts in the freezer that I know I bought for some reason, but now don’t have any idea why. I wonder if I could use frozen instead of canned. Hm….

• veg-unite February 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm #

Yes frozen would work great! I love frozen vegetables!