Sweet Potato and Almond Butter Granola Bars

24 Oct

It’s that time of the month!  Secret Recipe Club time!!!  Where the heck did the month of October go??

This month WeHeartVegan was assigned Allie’s Clean Plate Club.  She has a great blog filled with a wide range of recipes from drinks (like homemade Bailey’s Irish Cream and tailgate margaritas) to breads to desserts to entrees and even to dog treats.  It was hard to choose a recipe, as usual!!

Finally I came across some granola bars she made called Aspen Power Bars.  I’ve always been meaning to make some granola bars, but I always put it off.  Now’s the time!!  Some changes were made to veganize this recipe and to follow Julie and my attempt at cutting/lowering our sugar intake!  So here it goes…

Sweet Potato and Almond Butter Granola Bars

3 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted

1/4 cup brown rice syrup

1/2 cup raw almond butter

1 tsp. almond extract

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

5 Tbsp. sweet potato puree

In a large mixing bowl combine all the dry ingredients.  Stir well to incorporate together.  Set aside.

In a smaller separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients.  Stir well to blend.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry; stir well with a wooden spoon being sure to combine everything thoroughly.

Press into a foil/parchment lined 11 by 7 inch baking dish.  Set aside on the counter or in the refrigerator to somewhat harden.

Flip out onto a cutting board.  Slice into 18 even bars; press gently with your fingers to shape.

Place onto a plate or in to a storage container.  Set in the refrigerator and be sure to enjoy when ever you have a hankering for something healthy and sweet!!

Want to join the Secret Recipe Club?  CLICK HERE

18 Responses to “Sweet Potato and Almond Butter Granola Bars”

1. Ryan October 24, 2011 at 7:25 am #

Those look awesome!

2. Deanna October 24, 2011 at 10:09 am #

Yum! Is the protein powder necessary? The kiddo loves granola bars, but protein powder isn’t something I typically have in the house.

• veg-unite October 24, 2011 at 10:20 am #

Definitely not necessary, but I would suggest if you take it out to add in 2-3 tablespoons of a dry ingredient, like the coconut flour or flax. If you don’t keep coconut flour or flax on hand I bet using oat flour would be fine as well!!

3. Kelly October 24, 2011 at 10:41 am #

So glad to be in Group C with you, these look fantastic! Great SRC post!! xoxo

4. A Tablespoon of Liz October 24, 2011 at 11:50 am #

Those look so good! I would have never thought to flavor granola bars with sweet potato! But they’re perfect for fall!

• veg-unite October 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Yes! The sweet potato adds flavor, fiber and a fall sweetness!! It’s like sweet potato pie!

5. Rhonda October 24, 2011 at 11:50 am #

One of these days I’m going to make granola bars, adding the protein powder is a good idea, it would really hold you over on a hike.

6. Angie @ Bigbearswife October 24, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

I as well have always wanted to make granola bars, but I keep putting it off because I don’t think I’ll make them good haha. I will need to try them tho

• veg-unite October 24, 2011 at 2:34 pm #

Well these are the one’s… the time is now! These are so unbelievably simple!

7. Dan October 24, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

Yummy! Looks delicious, I can’t wait to try one =P

• veg-unite October 24, 2011 at 2:35 pm #

Thanks Dan!! You’ll get one Wednesday night!

8. Teri @ The Freshman Cook October 24, 2011 at 6:05 pm #

These look amazing, and they seem much easier to make than I thought they would be. (I don’t know what I was thinking). Thanks for a great post.
    Check out my Mint Brownie Bites!!

9. Eliot October 24, 2011 at 8:47 pm #

I just dug a few pounds of sweet potatoes so I am definitely going to make these. I have a favorite coffee house that has a sublime breakfast cookie that I have been trying to replicate. I think this recipe is close. Thanks and great SRC post.

• veg-unite October 25, 2011 at 12:02 am #

That sounds amazing… Nothing like fresh garden vegetables!! Let me know how it goes (:

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 11 Protein Power Snacks for 2011 « we heart vegan - February 7, 2012

[…]  One thing that holds true though: store bought bars are damn expensive!!  So why not try to make your own? Share the love:PrintMoreEmailFacebookTwitterLike this:LikeBe the first to like this […]

2. Raw protein truffles! « we heart vegan - May 7, 2012

[…] use it in my morning smoothies, granola bars, and now in these phenomenal […]