Secret Recipe Club September!!

26 Sep

Hi!  Yes… I’m alive!  Sorry for yet another blog vaca!  It will stop happening soon…

Remember the secret recipe club post I did last month?  Well it’s that time again and this month I was assigned the blog Ali-n-Son.com.  I love Allison!  Her recipes are so fun and friendly for all ages!

It was definitely hard choosing the right recipe.  I couldn’t stop drooling over the desserts (I am still going to make the doughnuts… just not right now), but with this dreary, rainy fall weather we’ve been having I’ve been craving soups, stews and anything warm and comforting.

Which leads me to my next dilemma… enchiladas with pumpkin sauce or slow cooker taco soup?!

And the winner is…

Enchiladas with Pumpkin Sauce!!  Reminiscent of the quesadillas Julie and I ate in San Francisco from Gracias Madre!

So here’s what I did to veganize this amazing dish…

Vegan Enchiladas with a Creamy Pumpkin Sauce

Serves 3-4

1 package (about 1 1/2 cups) tempeh, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

2 teaspoon of olive oil

Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste

2 1/2 cups water blended with 1/2 cup pepitas

1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 15-oz. can organic pumpkin puree

3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

1 large jalapeno, roughly chopped

1 tsp. chili powder

1/4 tsp. chipotle seasoning

1/4 tsp. adobo seasoning

1 tsp. sea salt

Black pepper to taste

8 8-inch tortillas (sprouted or wheat-free/gluten-free if possible)

1 cup Daiya pepper jack cheese (plus 1 Tbsp. for each enchilada – ends up being an entire package)

2 avocados, diced

Preheat the oven to 425.  In a saute pan, saute the tempeh and onion with the 2 tsp. olive oil, making sure to season with sea salt and black pepper.  Once the onions are cooked through, aromatic and translucent; add in the black beans and set the mixture aside.

In your Vita-mix, food processor, or in a bowl with an immersion blender (I personally used both the food processor and the Vita-mix), puree the pumpkin, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder, chipotle seasoning, adobo seasoning, 1 tsp. salt and black pepper to taste with the pepita water.  Once smooth, measure about 1 cup of the sauce for the bottom of a baking dish and 1/2 cup poured into the onion/tempeh mixture.

Assemble the enchiladas by simply dividing the tempeh mixture (1/4 to 1/3 cup in each) between each tortilla then spoon a tablespoon of cheese into each tortilla; roll them up tightly.  Lay them in the sauce in the baking dish seam side down and cover with the daiya cheese and the remaining sauce.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the tortillas are a bit softened.  Let cool in the pan 5 minutes or so before topping with diced avocado and consuming.

Enjoy!!!

And be sure to stop by the Secret Recipe Club website… or better yet JOIN (if you’re a blogger that is) (:

23 Responses to “Secret Recipe Club September!!”

1. Ryan September 26, 2011 at 8:08 am #

Looks Awesome!!!

2. Eliot September 26, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

I have seen quite a few great pumpkin recipes with this month’s SRC posts. I am adding this one to my “to do” list as well! Great SRC pic.

3. Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 26, 2011 at 12:43 pm #

What a wonderful choice, such a creative dish!

4. Liz September 26, 2011 at 1:50 pm #

How wonderful that you can veganize so many dishes! This looks so fun and seasonal…great job!

5. Rhonda September 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

Another SRC pumpkin recipe, fall is in the air! Gotta love enchiladas!

6. Steph@PlainChicken September 26, 2011 at 5:22 pm #

What an interesting recipe! I would NEVER had thought to make pumpkin enchiladas. Very creative.

• veg-unite September 27, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

Me neither!! I’m so glad to be a part of SRC so I can also discover such interesting recipes!
      Thanks for visiting!!

7. veronica gantley September 26, 2011 at 7:02 pm #

I have been seeing a lot of savory pumpkin recipes. This is another great one. This would also make a great Lenten meal. Love that! Thanks for sharing with us.

8. Jey @ The Jey of Cooking September 26, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

Yum! Even as a non-vegan, this looks creamy and delicious.

• veg-unite September 27, 2011 at 11:11 pm #

I love hearing that!! Vegan food is delicious!
      Thanks so much for visiting!

9. Kita September 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

What an awesome take on enchiladas! Great post – even better choice for SRC!

10. Georgie September 26, 2011 at 8:37 pm #

They look incredible!

11. Angie September 26, 2011 at 8:52 pm #

I love seeing all of the pumpkin recipes lately!! yum!
    Glad to be in Group C with you!!

12. marla September 27, 2011 at 12:00 am #

Creamy pumpkin sauce! Splendid way to do enchiladas.
    Awesome to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my post from group C – http://su.pr/2rtACr

13. Sarah September 27, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

Oh-Em-Gee. I saw this on Kelly’s blog (Eat Yourself Skinny) and I just might have to make these soon!!! These sound so amazing, I never would have thought to put a pumpkin sauce on this, yum!!

• veg-unite September 27, 2011 at 11:09 pm #

Seriously!! MAKE THESE!!! And let me know how it goes!!
      Thanks for visiting!

14. Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy September 29, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I just made pumpkin enchiladas the other day! I never would have thought to use “pepita water” though; that’s a great idea. I used broth and rice milk in mine. Delicious!

• veg-unite September 30, 2011 at 11:49 pm #

Yeah I just love the taste of pepitas! They have a spicy and cheesy flavor to me! Works great in this dish.

15. Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } September 30, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

What a perfect choice with the turn of the seasons occuring. These look supreme! Glad to be part of the SRC and groupC. Have a terrific weekend.

16. Dan October 3, 2011 at 11:45 pm #

looks yummy! =D

17. Allison @ Alli 'n Son October 10, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

I love the changes that you made to my recipe! I’m so happy to have met you through Secret Recipe Club.